If you have covered the surf kayak basics and would like more time to embed them and progress to bigger conditions and/or learn skills such as carving bottom turns and diagonal runs that use the wave, this is for you….
British Canoeing 3 Star Surf Training/Assessment OR Surf Kayak Leader (4*) Training (both optional)
You can gain a 3 Star Surf Award (personal skills) OR complete a Surf Kayak Leader Training (skills and leading others) by doing this course, the only pre-requisite is for you to be able to paddle at the same standard as either the New 3 Star Surf Award or the Old 4 Star Surf Award. For more details download the PDF or contact us.
What surfing level do I need to be?
For those that have either completed the Introduction to Surf Kayaking course or can survive a surf on a head high kayak wave, being in some control in white water.
Personal skills that you will be working towards include:
- Efficient paddle out and correct wave selection.
- Effective take offs, going into diagonal runs at the correct height for the conditions or a carving bottom turn.
- You will also work on your top turns to use the whole of the wave, allowing you to regain the wave and continue your surf.
- You will be able to exit the wave by carving off it, rather than being caught up in the white water and being taken to the beach.
- You will work towards rolling on both sides in up to double overhead height surf (from a kayak).
A range of rescue skills will also be covered in various scenarios, including:
Deep water rescues; towing using a range of techniques in the most suitable place; carrying and surfing someone with you on your boat and safe; controlled shepherding.
For more information on the course : Intromediate Course Info
Dates – for 3 Star and Surf Kayak Leader (former 4 Star)
- BC 3 Star – TBC Contact us if you’re looking for a course.
- BC Surf Kayak Leader Training – 10-11th Oct 2019.
Please contact us if you are looking for a 5 day course. Group discounts are available, please contact us for a bespoke quote.
£199 – 2 days : An intensive course for those with experience and confidence to acquire skills quickly.
£385 – 5 days : For those that wish to spend more time to practice and consolidate their skills so they become natural, and to get to know the local area.
(Please note: relevant British Canoeing fees are on top of these prices)