This surf kayaking course teaches you the basics of how to proficiently surf your kayak/wave ski/sit on top (SOT) correctly in friendly surf (up to head high in a kayak). It is designed for you, working at your pace. You will be doing this in safe conditions, with great coaching that stretches and supports you every step of the way. This course can be completed with or without the British Canoeing 3 Star Surf Leader Award.
What surfing level do I need to be?
You don’t have to be a fantastic kayaker, or be able to roll as this course is aimed at beginners to the surf environment. You do have to be willing to experiment and get a little wet whilst we keep you smiling and learning.
Personal skills you will be working towards include:
- Launching from the beach (particularly if you have fins on your boat)
- Efficient paddling out through waves to save you energy and to get out quickly
- Taking off and catching a wave without too much effort
- Using ‘ruddering’ to learn how to turn on the wave, either on the green wave or in the white water.
- The basics of a diagonal run and a solid bottom turn
- Supporting and steering yourself safely whilst being in control in white water
- You will go home with an action plan and video footage to remind you of what to work on.
For more information on the course : Intro Course Info
- TBC Get in touch if you are interested as we can run courses on demand.
£175 – 2 days : For complete beginners to surf kayaking.
£85– 1 day : For those ready for a 3 Star Surf Leader Assessment.